Contact: Kelly Puspoki, Greater Twin Cities United Way, 952.334.4545, email@example.com
GREATER TWIN CITIES UNITED WAY INVITES THE COMMUNITY TO DONATE CULTURALLY RELEVANT FOOD DURING MARCH FOODSHARE MONTH
Food donations to support food shelves serving people experiencing poverty
MINNEAPOLIS (March 17, 2021)
Greater Twin Cities United Way invites the community to donate culturally specific foods (foods that are common in cultural/ethnic communities) through April 10, 2021, to benefit people who are food insecure in the Twin Cities.
- Food shelves in the Twin Cities are in areas with the highest concentrations of immigrant groups, yet the bulk of food donated reflect foods associated with the white population.
- According to an assessment from The Food Group, one of the main barriers in using food shelves for people in need is inaccessibility of familiar foods they know how to cook.
- COVID-19 has exacerbated challenges for people who already had been experiencing food insecurity.
- Greater Twin Cities United Way worked with three of its nonprofit partners that offer food and food shelf services – CAPI, CLUES (Comunidades Latinas Unidas En Servicio), and NorthPoint Health and Wellness – to develop six “Flavors of the Community Packs” (featured below) which contain food items essential to various cultures. The three organizations will distribute the donated food to local families.
- Go to uwthrive.org and click on the volunteer tab. Simply select a food pack, purchase the items, assemble them and drop them off at the listed locations.
Interview and photo opportunities available with leaders at Greater Twin Cities United Way, CAPI, CLUES and NorthPoint Health and Wellness.
Not-so-Secret Sauces: Hmong Essentials
1 (8 oz) Chili garlic sauce
1 (7 oz) Fish sauce
1 (10 oz) Hoisin sauce
1 (17 oz) Siracha sauce
1 (10 oz) Soy sauce
Heart of the Kitchen: Hmong Staples
1 (4 oz can) Asian baby mackerels or sardines
1 (14 oz can) Baby corn (whole)
1 (8 oz can) Bamboo shoots
1 (5 oz box) Bean thread noodles
1 (14 oz can) Coconut milk
1 (14 oz box) Rice noodles
Meal Pack: Spicy Stir-Fry Night
1 (3 oz) Garlic powder
1 (32 oz bag) Jasmine rice
1 (7 oz can) Mushrooms
1 (9 0z) Oyster sauce
1 (1 oz) Tumeric
Zesty Spice Pack
1 (2.5 oz ground) Cinnamon
1 (2 oz ground) Cumin
1 (2.5 oz) Chili powder
1 (3 oz) Garlic powder
Meal Pack: Arroz con frijoles (rice with beans)
1 (16 oz bag) Dry beans (black, red, or pinto)
1 (8oz) Goya seasoning
1 (32 oz can) Tomato paste
1 (32 oz bag) White rice
Meal Pack: Tortillas de verduras (Vegetable tacos)
1 (4.4 lb bag) Maseca flour
1 (15 oz can) Corn, white kernel
1 (15 oz can) Diced tomatoes
1 (12 oz can) Jalapenos
1 (16 oz can) Refried beans
About Greater Twin Cities United Way: Greater Twin Cities United Way unites changemakers, advocates for social good and develops solutions to address the challenges no one can solve alone to create a community where all people thrive, regardless of income, race or place. For more information, visit www.gtcuw.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.