Action Day 2020 Goes Virtual
On Thursday, August 13, United Way teamed up with the Minnesota United FC to host Action Day 2020. To keep our community safe, Action Day was mostly virtual, besides the in-person and socially distanced backpack distribution to 84 nonprofits and school districts and livestream which took place outside and in Allianz Field’s parking lot.
Each year, more than 100,000 students in the greater Twin Cities go back to school without a backpack and essential school supplies needed to learn and succeed in the classroom. Since 2016, United Way has been teaming up with all seven of Minnesota’s pro sports teams and FOX Sports North to bring thousands of volunteers together at Action Day to help local students start the school year ready to learn by filling backpacks with school supplies.
Highlights from Virtual Action Day 2020:
- 40,000 backpacks full of essential school supplies provided to K-12 students
- 84 nonprofits and school districts picked up backpacks to distribute to students with the last backpacks leaving Allianz Field at 3:00pm
- $70,000+ raised via fundraising
- School supply donations from over 750 donors (more than triple raised in 2019)
- Over 3,000 School Supply Packs collected via at-home volunteer projects
- Hosted a successful hour long live stream full of interviews from local guests
If you entered the Action Day sweepstakes, the drawing will take place Wednesday, August 19. Winners will be posted on our Action Day website and notified via email.
If you were unable to watch the event, or would like to watch again, you can do so here.
Relive the action from Action Day and check out our photo album!
More Articles Like This:
National Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 – Oct. 15) traditionally honors the cultures and contributions of US and Latinx communities as we also celebrate heritage rooted in all Latin American countries. The […]
By Liz Williams, Program Officer, Career Academies As part of the fourth wave of funding from our COVID-19 Response and Recovery Fund, in Fall 2020, […]
Contact: Kelly Puspoki, Greater Twin Cities United Way, 952.334.4545; firstname.lastname@example.org Greater Twin Cities United Way Builds Strong Momentum in Third Year of Transformation, Addressing Emergency, […]