Suicide Prevention Call Specialist
We live in a world where division, disparity, and poverty affect everyone. There are many ways to solve problems, but when we unite as changemakers at Greater Twin Cities United Way we can disrupt systems, unlock human potential, change narratives, create equitable solutions, and advocate for policies that result in lasting change. As an interconnected community focused on equity and inclusion, we can draw from our best minds, courageous leaders, responsive services and collaborative partnerships, and bring forth working solutions to shape our future together.
Your Role in Participating: Suicide Prevention Call Specialist
Your Department: Community Impact
Your Reporting Manager: Lifeline Crisis Center Manager
OUR MISSION AND VALUES
Mission: Galvanize our community to build pathways toward prosperity and equity for all.
Values: Equity, collaboration, agility, and transparency
OUR RELATIONSHIPS CREATE IMPACT
In your key capacity you will maintain cooperative working relationships with emergency service providers, mental health agencies, mobile crisis/psychiatric outreach teams, the nonprofit sector, local government entities and the Greater Twin Cities United Way team that will result in creating positive impact for all people within our community experiencing poverty.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF YOUR ROLE
You will provide telephone crisis and suicide risk assessments at Greater Twin Cities United Way Suicide Prevention Hotline. This is a telephone-based position where there is not face to face contact with those utilizing the service.
- Perform suicide risk assessment and crisis counseling for Greater Twin Cities United Way Suicide Prevention Hotline callers.
- Assist with placing rescue calls as needed.
- Place follow-up calls to callers.
- Document each call and collect data for every contact and each county served in our web-based call database.
- Enter all calls in an iCarol call report, including demographic information and presenting problem.
- Complete mandatory trainings and workshops to remain knowledgeable about the latest policies and protocols and equipped to apply crisis intervention tools & techniques.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology; social work; or a behavioral science field is preferred or equivalency of 2+ years working in community service or programs.
- Must possess strong knowledge of mental health, suicide dynamics, crisis prevention and intervention services.
- Knowledge of HIPAA laws/regulations with regard to protected health information; code of ethics, confidentiality and privacy principles.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience; preferably providing direct services in mental health or human service setting.
- Experience with crisis situations and quickly establishing rapport with clients highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with diverse populations.
- Strong empathy, communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Able to handle high levels of emotional stress
- Proficient in web-based computer environment and multi-line phone system
- Understanding of and ability to apply mental health assessment, treatment and service terminology
- Able to work independently in triaging calls so that lines remain available for callers in escalated crisis.
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish, Hmong or Somali a plus.
HIRING FOR THE FOLLOWING SHIFTS:
1 First Shift Position – 8:00am – 4:00pm
2 Second Shift Positions – 4:00pm – 12:00am
2 Third Shift Positions – 12:00am – 8:00am
Individual hours may vary
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Greater Twin Cities United Way provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Explore what it means to be a changemaker, and to make an impact in your community with Greater Twin Cities United Way.